RAIN DELAY

     Weird...two rain outs in the last four days and I don't feel guilty about missing runs. Guess that's another reason I'm so amazed at Mark Covert's continuous days running streak. Mark is now in his 45th year of running each and every day...yes, each and every day for 44+ years. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Covert )
     My oldest brother Al and Mark have been friends since their college days, running together and then coaching against each other for many years after. There are so many long runs in life; jobs, friendships, hobbies, annual 'things' we do/visit/ enjoy...it really wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things that life ended pretty early for most folks. Short and hard with a brutal ending. 
     I feel lucky to be living in these times. So many things we can do, so many choices we can make. Could I have run on the rain out days? Sure, but I'm not a daily runner. Six days a week max is about all my body can handle on a regular basis and over the years I've learned that works well for me, that's my choice. 
     Right now I'd love to break some streaks I do have; an addiction to handfuls of Nestle chocolate chips, cherry coke, J'nets cookies, to name a few. But it comes down to me and my choices. I'm getting better at it, and seeing results, but it takes time. Time is something I wish more people would allow themselves to be patient with. I love seeing people working on their body at the park, I go out of my way to say hi or good job when we pass. Runners know the battle of weight, even skinny runners appreciate the difference a few pounds can make and so we are wise to encourage those working on getting their weight down. I think they appreciate it and take it as encouragement, that runners aren't looking down at walkers. Fact is, we want them to keep at it and hopefully become runners!
     Tomorrow morning my run is scheduled for 5:30am with Dave. Should make it, but storms are supposed to hit overnight. I won't mind running in rain, but this morning spiderweb-like lighting blanketed the sky so I bagged it. Dave ran on his treadmill, I headed back to bed! 
     Choices...feel good about them. Challenge yourself..do what's best for you and encourage others as they work towards their goals. 
     Now, go run!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The metamorphosis is happening!

Your pace or mine?

Turn, turn, turn